Safety Tips: IN CASE OF SMOKE OR FIRE LOSS
WHAT TO DO NOW:
- First, fire and/or other casualty officials must complete their work.
- Handle all electrical items with extreme caution.
- Throughout the house: Keep movement to a minimum and keep your hands clean. This will help prevent soot particles from penetrating upholstery, carpets, walls and woodwork thus preventing further damage.
- Upholstery: Vacuum loose soot particles. Cover upholstered furniture with sheets.
- Drapes & carpets: Vacuum loose soot particles. Place clean, dry towels or linens over carpets in heavy traffic areas.
- Houseplants: Wash off both sides of leaves; softened water or milk helps.
- Ventilation systems: Change furnace and air-conditioning filters. Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air grilles.
- Food and drinks: Take inventory then discard canned and packaged foods or beverages that may have been stored close to fire, heat or water. They could be contaminated.
- Refrigerator & freezer: If the electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop open the doors. Use common sense, and determine whether or not you should remove the doors to the appliance for safety reasons.
- Kitchen & bathrooms: If the heat is off during freezing temperature, pour approved antifreeze solution, such as would be used for swimming pools or RV’s down sinks, toilet bowls and tubs. Be certain that the antifreeze type that you use is approved for such use. Clean and protect chrome on faucets and appliances with a light coating of WD-40®.
WHAT TO WAIT ON:
- Walls: To prevent soot from setting permanently, don’t wash or paint without first contacting your RestoreCore representative.
- Carpets & upholstery: To prevent odor from setting permanently, don’t attempt cleaning without first contacting your RestoreCore representative.
- Electrical appliances: Don’t clean or repair TVs, radios, computers or any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water. Consult an authorized repair service.
- Clothing: Do not dry clean or launder smoke-damaged items. Contact your RestoreCore representative for special instructions.
- Ceiling fixtures: Do not switch on any ceiling fixture or fan if the ceiling is wet. The wiring may be wet or damaged.